Thursday, September 4, 2008

jane austen corrupts you!!

Yes.holler to this situation people.I totally stand by my opinion that Jane never gotten married Austen is one of those people that corrupts us with these ideally perfected image of romance.I was reading two of her novels back to back and I confess I got bitten by the Austen bug.She gives hope to those wHo r not so perfect that they have a chance in love,u're not perfect but by god u'll get mr perfect.thats what her slogan should scream in every book..Look at Anne,as boring as tv1 yet she cought Fredrick wentwortH after sHe dumped him.the poor guy loved her crazY!.at first glance,Austen was empowering(the fact that she's british and excel in dark humour to perfection doesnt hurT) she was cynical and you know how i think cynicality is like the very fundamental issue needed in important work of literature otherwise it'll just be as dry as really Bad wine(or really good wine.do i look like i drinK?its just an impresiion.like duH).Due to her cynical style,I gave her the benefit of te doubt,she might not just be an old maid with notHing to do,she actually has ideas and i read Emma as my next mission. And I still liked her.Parallel to Anne Wentworth,she caught good fish.O honourable Mr Knightley! This one I had to question?Emma to me through out the whole novel was a pain in the ass.shE was highly snobbish,very poky when not needed and utterly wrong about love matches(though she pretends so) yet again she managed to catch a hunkie dorY(well he looked hot in the moVIE!!)..n I was hooked to Austen.SHe made heroines unperfect and she gave them theyre perfect pairing!!I ws a positive thinker at that timE(forgive my naivety!).
Than i read more and more,Northanger abby and finally Pride and Prejudice.After reading,I pondered deep and long!!good for them ..they all got happy endings with their perfect catch and fairy tale like sTory to tell to their grandchildren.So in the end what do you realize? good people(who have flaws bt decent enough) get good partners than it hits me hard!!buLL!! no they dont...I know several beautiful,strong smart women in my life and they dont have that..not even anywhere close to perfection.I wonder whether Austen is really empowering or is she just really filling up our girlie heads with dreams that will never come true.People say that her novels r the blank starting points for feminist movements but wHat does it really represent?example,Emma said from start that she doesnt think marriage was necessary for her part yet ironically she did in the end.So is it really feminism she;s trying to pass along or is it that we women were,are and always will be stuck in this silly knight in shining armour fantasy no matter what centurY we r iN!
Think about it,she herself didnt get married.How on earth does she qualify to tell tales and stories about women wHo are so called forever blissed..thats not empowering thats outrighteously wrong!!I Take a stand that Austen will no more b what I'm reading.She was the mother of chic lits.Without her,no other would be compelled to write story about women who r so called confident yet ironically weak at sights of hot captain(not that i mind if i was Anne.HE did lift her into the buggY!WEntworth is definately an exception.lol).Sorry Ms Austen,I'm hanging up your books..No more daydreams for me.Time to live in reality where even the worst of heart gets a decent guy while we wait around fantasazing(pathethic really counting the numbers of gays in tis world,there's not really enuf guys to go around..!!) about my knight slaying a dragons for my honour( they cud just save a bunny.i reallY am not that pickY).I'm sticking with books that make me depressed!!better expecting the worst than having your head up there in the clouds!

p/s;this is just my midnight ramble.I have like a million approach to how i see Austen.This is how i see her when I'm in the mood to talk feminisT!!yeah..im one sad weeeeeee crazy gaL

2 comments:

DANS said...

wow, it's far longer than what I'd usually write...good job Fafa! Hehe, interesting review..

In my opinion, Austen writes such stories to enlighten her fantasies that she thought she would never get with life. And she had overdid it somehow...apparently it seemed as if she never really did her best in reality (melepaskan segalanya atas tulisan, u know? tanpa usaha in her own love life)..this is not the thing we want rite?

So afraid to comment more, takot mengarut pula..all in all, I've hung up on Austen way back! Not my cup of tea. LOL, take care...

Anonymous said...

yep. its all bull.
tapi, we can only dream la kan.
hu~